Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Assignment 6

I'm really pleased with this assignment though! YAY. Although I do think it can be further improved..

Okay so we could choose between lyrics or quotes. I chose lyrics cos they're usually not full sentences. And having to work with full sentences (must be grammatically sound blah blah) would be abit difficult to balance with aesthetics (which I'm more concerned about HAHAH).

Toxic was the first song I thought of! But I shuffled through various songs anyway, to see if I could come up with better alternatives:



1) Superman (Five for Fighting):

I'm more than a bird.. I'm more than a plane
More than some pretty face beside a train
It's not easy to be me

I really liked this one! I really wanted to not just play with fonts for this assignment, but rather use fonts to create a general image/images that would stick in the viewers' minds. Hence the words here like 'bird', 'plane', 'pretty face' and 'train' really got me thinking that this might work!



2) Drops of Jupiter (Train):

Now that shes back in the atmosphere
With drops of jupiter in her hair, hey, hey
She acts like summer and walks like rain
Reminds me that there's time to change, hey, hey
Since the return from her stay on the moon
She listens like spring and she talks like June, hey, hey

Tell me, did you sail across the sun
Did you make it to the milky way to see the lights all faded
And that heaven is overrated

Tell me, did you fall for a shooting star
One without a permanent scar
And did you miss me while you were looking at yourself out there


These.. are just beautiful lyrics, aren't they? So much imagery trapped within the lines, so much beauty written into the context of the song! Again, heavy-imagery lyrics, I like muchos. I was thinking of some space/stars backdrop for this, with plenty of room to play with words like 'jupiter', 'rain', 'spring', 'summer', 'milky way', 'shooting star'. And so much more. If I'd gone ahead with this, I'd seriously have worked with this WHOLE chunk of text. 'Cos the meaning would be incomplete without its entirety!



3) Break The Ice (Britney Spears):

Let's get it blazin'
We can turn the heat up if you wanna
Turn the lights down low if you wanna
Just wanna move you
But you're frozen
That's what I'm saying

Let me break the ice
Allow me to get you right
Let you warm up to me

The thing about this lyric piece is that the words themselves aren't immediately forming images. However, it's open for interpretation - much like reading a book, we imagine the scene. You can imagine the heat being turned up, and the lights down low.. So for this one, the background or context image would be pretty important..



4) Lace and Leather (Britney Spears)

French finger tips, red lips, bitch is dangerous
Cotton candy kiss, can't wait for my sugar rush


You know, I really liked this one! But one problem was that...that was about it in terms of pretty lyrics for the song -.- And this would only be about 17 words? Below the minimum requirement. :(

But yeah. You can more or less imagine the images that can be construed with this, red lips, french manicured nails, danger, cotton candy, kisses, sugar etc. This would have been interesting to construct.. and also would be challenging to confine to a single style, since there's so many (possibly conflicting) images.



5) Radar (Britney Spears)

Edges (I like 'em rough)
A man with a Midas touch
Intoxicate me, I'm a lush
Stop you're making me blush
People are looking at us


I listen to quite a bit of Britney, as you might already tell... LOL.
But really, the only reason I chose this was cos of the word 'INTOXICATE'. Okay this is gonna sound super random but I've always been fascinated by that word, and how it's spelt - it looks damn awesome. HAHAHAHAHAHAAH. ANYWAY.
More images with this one - 'Midas touch' (goldddd), 'lush', 'stop', 'blush', 'people are looking' etc.



So *drumroll* in the end I chose..
Another Britney classic! TOXIC!
HAHAHAHA, with half of my favorite word somemore. fail LOL.



Toxic (Britney Spears)

With a taste of your lips
I'm on a ride
You're toxic, I'm slipping under
With a taste of your poison paradise
I'm addicted to you
Don't you know that you're toxic


Well well well. I love this song! :D
And I like the idea of working around the word 'Poison'. Because I play pokemon, so when I think of poison I think of this:
It's the pokemon, Muk! A poison pokemon with..poisonous moves. LOL okay enough geek talk

Anyway so poison to me connotes purple. Or purple connotes poison. Hmm. Yeah it kinda works both ways for me, lol.



Anyway the word I really had fun with was LIPS - I drew out the shape of a pair of lips, and erased with love until the words LIPS was legible. Hehe. I would say its the focal point of the picture.. And so it affected some decisions. Initially, I wanted to have a purple background, to play along the poison thing. BUT, after working with that, I realized that a mere color background wouldn't have the oomph I wanted.. So I added a face/neck/shoulders layer. To further play along the lips/human being toxic & very dangerous feel. LOL.

To further add that dangerous feel, the last word ('toxic') is kinda made out to look like a tattoo of sorts.

I tried to stick to as few fonts as possible, because I didn't want the whole poster to look too confusing =x So I used Harabara as the main font for the rest of the text. Random quip: I had lots of fun with 'poison paradise'! HMM.



I was a little worried though, and still am, that the end product doesn't fulfil the requirement of playing with different fonts; what I did was instead to use fonts to create a theme, an image, and to bring out the essence of the lyrics that I'd chosen. I hope this isn't off track! According to the comments I received in class, it seems like it's alright though. But if you have any comments on how to improve etc, do let me know!! :)))

No comments:

Post a Comment